Helping Families In New Jersey For Over 20 Years

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Post-Decree Modifications And Enforcement
  4.  » Release Of Children From Parent’s Care

When Do Parental Obligations End?

For the most part, when a child turns 18, he or she is considered to be an adult. It only makes sense that a parent’s legal obligations to their children would come to an end when they turn 18. However, the law in New Jersey does not share this point of view. In many cases, it still requires parents to provide financial support and living quarters for children who are 18 or older. A parent may seek an order for emancipation which, if granted, would end their parental obligations. An experienced lawyer can explain your options and help you determine the best path forward.

At the Law Office of Edward Fradkin, LLC, our attorney has been handling difficult family law matters for more than 20 years. If you have questions regarding emancipation or what your legal obligations are to your adult children, call us at 732-702-0612 to schedule a free initial consultation.

Support Payments And Other Considerations

Issues surrounding the release of children from a parent’s care often arise when the parents are divorced and one parent has been ordered to make child support payments. Support payments may not come to an end when a child turns 18. A parent may seek to have the child emancipated in order to end their support obligations. However, if the court finds that the child cannot financially support himself or herself, it may deny the request. The court will also consider the financial situation of both parents when making a determination.

There is no hard rule stating when a parent’s financial obligations to their children are expected to end. Any determination is made on a case-by-case basis and will depend on the unique facts of each situation. That is why it is important to have skilled legal counsel on your side to help guide you through this process.

Contact Us To Learn More

To find out how we can help you, call our law office in Freehold at 732-702-0612 to schedule a free consultation. You may also contact us online.