Helping Families In New Jersey For Over 20 Years

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Divorce
  4.  » Who Pays College Expenses?

College Costs And The Impact On Divorce Proceedings

Many people believe that their financial obligations to their children end when the child turns 18 or graduates from high school. However, the law in New Jersey generally views college expenses as a necessity and may require parents to contribute toward their child’s higher education. If you are going through a divorce, a determination regarding college obligations should be reached as part of your agreement. An experienced lawyer can help guide you through this process.

At the Law Office of Edward Fradkin, LLC, our attorney has been helping people resolve their difficult family law problems for more than 20 years. If you are going through a divorce and are concerned about your child’s present or future college expenses, call us at 732-702-0612 to schedule a free initial consultation.

Determining College Financial Obligations

Whether a parent can expect to pay for their child’s college expenses depends on the unique circumstances of their individual case. The court applies a number of different factors to reach a decision, including:

  • Whether parents would have paid for college had they remained together
  • Whether the child is expected to attend college
  • The ability of the parents to pay for college
  • The availability of financial aid, college grants and scholarships
  • The relationship between the parent and child

Whenever possible, parents should reach an agreement concerning college costs as part of their property settlement. If your divorce decree does not address the issue of college expenses, it is possible that you or your ex may be required to contribute to a child’s higher education when that time comes. We can help explore your options while protecting your interests.

Contact Us For Comprehensive Divorce Representation

We can help address all issues surrounding your divorce proceeding, including the question of college payments. To schedule a free initial consultation, call our law office in Freehold at 732-702-0612. You may also contact us online.